How To Legally Change Gender And Name In India
Except a few personal anecdotes/experiences shared by some trans folks, there aren’t any complete online resources that will guide you through the process of legal change of name and gender. From my own personal experience I’ve compiled this guide to save you some time and trouble. Legal change of name and gender is a three-step process. Namely, 1. Get An Affidavit 2. Publish Newspaper Advertisement 3. Notify in The Gazette.
1. Get An Affidavit One can get an affidavit for the change of name and gender from any notary. They normally charge around 300 rupees. A sample affidavit is available here for your reference.
2. Publish Newspaper Advertisement Choose any one local newspaper of your choice and submit a copy of the affidavit to place an Ad. You can easily do this online too, from the comfort of your home via http://www.releasemyad.com . If you want to do it discreetly, choose a newspaper that’s less popular and it’ll save you few bucks too. The Ad will cost anywhere from 300 to 500 rupees. To give you an idea of how the Ad looks like, I’ve attached a template here
3. Notify in The Gazette The final step is to notify the change of name and gender in the gazette. Gazette is like an official magazine of the Government. State and Central Governments have their own gazettes. While one can notify in either of the gazettes, many governmental/semi-governmental institutions insist on notifying in the Gazette of India. Advertisements and public notices from private individuals are generally published in Part-IV of the Gazette of India. I’ll be describing the procedure to notify the change of name & gender in the Gazette of India. For those of you who don’t know, no surgery/treatment is necessary to change the gender, thanks to the landmark Supreme Court’s NALSA judgement. For the gazette notification, the following forms/items should be submitted.
- Copy of the Notarized Affidavit for Change of Name & Gender from step 1
- An undertaking duly signed by the applicant
- Original Newspaper
- Prescribed proforma in duplicate duly typed with signature of applicant and two witnesses.
- C.D containing the print matter without witness portion in MS Word and type name in place of signature.
- Two self-attested passport size photographs and a self attested photocopy of ID proof.
- A Certificate duly signed by the applicant declaring therein that the contents of hard copy and soft copy are same.
- Request Letter along with the requisite fee ( Rs.1400 cash if submitting in person or Demand Draft drawn in favor of “Controller of Publications” payable at Delhi, if sending it through post/courier)
- Attested photocopy of medical document ( GD certificate or SRS certificate).
- Specimen Proforma regarding Change of Sex for people who had SRS (It’s not mandatory)
One can either submit documents in person or send them through post/courier. It is advisable to submit them personally (takes less time to process) rather than through post because the office hardly attends your calls if there’s any problem. Also, the applications sent through post/courier would take at least 2 months to get processed. The gazette is normally published every Saturday and it can be downloaded from the website address egazette.nic.in
When sent via post, you may address your request to :
The Controller of Publication,
Department of Publication,
Behind Vidhan Sabha,
Civil Lines, Delhi-110054.
For further information on Gazette of India, please check the official website at deptpub.nic.in
Once you finish all the three steps, with the copies of affidavit,newspaper Ad and the gazette notification, you can change other IDs like PAN, Aadhaar, Voter card, Company ID etc.
Even educational certificates can be changed based on this Gazette Notification. For Degree certificates issued by Visvesvaraya Technological University in karnataka, you may apply for the name and gender change based on Gazette through the VTU name correction form. You have to pay the relevant Fees online and send the filled application to VTU via your college.
PS: Thanks to the efforts and 2 year long legal battle of Ms Kritika Singh (Board Member of Transgender India) with Gazette of India, now Transgender people in India can legally change Gender and Name without Surgery or HRT.
Can a transgender ftm can change their name and gender in educational certificate?? In india … How??
Yes, you can change your name and gender in your educational certificates. Please follow the procedure as described above.
Hi I wanna ask that I’m transitioning from male to female so in affidavit or other require what should I fill in the coloumn of son of /daughter of like can I fill daughter of from now also
Will I change my name and gender without publication in newspapers from male to female .plz tell me soon as Possible..I m transgender female..what is minimum cost for all process
Name change is not possible without a newspaper notification.
You can even publish in a small time newspaper, which doesn’t have much readership.
You can even arrange it online: http://www.releasemyad.com/
It will cost you around Rs. 300
I also want to change my gender .male to female . But the question is that which gender will identify me famale or transgender .
In my adhar card ,pan card,voter ID card , which category I will follow trans ya female
If you do it via gazette notification, you can choose female without having any surgery.
I’m about to get my final surgery done from male to female. What will be written in my documents post surgery- female or transgender?
Helo Lalit I m also.planing for sex change operation male to female ….plz can u help.me out plz…..contact me soon….
Please feel free to join our forum to get more information: https://transgenderindia.com/talk
So if we don’t live in Delhi and travelling there is not feasible, can we send the documents through a friend who stays in Delhi? Because if courier does take two months to get processed, isn’t there a faster way?
hai, im sheeba from chennai. i want to get sex change to male .
can i take any possible for free surgery?
I would kindly request you to post your questions at our discussions forum https://www.transgenderindia.com/talk . I am sure our forum members with a similar life experience will help you with suggestions.
I am becoming male to female transfer. Will i get female gender in certificate and all document. Please reply me.
Yes, You can , please follow the instructions on this article & if you have any questions about a specific step in this process , Please ask for help on your forum https://www.transgenderindia.com/talk
how much time will it take?
Can a minor change their name.and gender in their certificates without surgery or hrt only by GD certificate?
We are not sure , But even if a Minor wants to change name and gender, i think They will need parents approval at every step of the bureaucracy.
kindly help me. plz tell me detail after surgery. how to change school degree.
Did you already contact your university? You can ask them which documents they require.
if i already had a sex reassignment surgery but was unable to register this under any official/government records. what will be my considered gender for legal purposes.
I think if you do not register your gender change legally , legally your gender will remain what it was registered at birth.
Hey, in the point mentioned above as follows
Two self-attested passport size photographs and a self attested photocopy of ID proof.
Does this I’d proof would be new I’d proof or one with your previous name and gender?
What all docs are considered to be I’d proof?
For the Gazette you could use your old ID.
For example your Adhaar Card, Pan Card or Driving license.
I want change my transgender. Male into female.
I want to change my gender into a boy
Please join our forum to get more information about that:
is this still the same process after the transgender person’s act was passed in 2019?
I am a tenth class studying student. I like to be feminine. I know about the position of people like me in the society. Can anyone help me in what i should do
Hi, I have received my TG identity card with my TG name and the previous name. I also have my voters ID in my TG name. I would like to join a course in a university. Is the TG Identity card fine or should I have changed my name in the gazette also?
Talk to your university and ask them. If you want female on all your identity cards. we recommend getting Gazette notification done.
CAN ANY ONE ADVISE ABOUT THE RULES TO GET THE NAME CHANGED FOR GRADUATION CERTIFICATES FROM THE MUMBAI UNIVERSITY FOR A TRANGENDER F TO M. NAME CHANGE FOR ALL DOCUEMENTS ACHIEVED LIKE AADHAAR, PANCARD, PASSPORT, AND DRIVING LISCENSE, THE ACHIEVED BY APPLICATION THROUGH A GAZZETTE. PLS HELP.
Please call the university.
Do you have any information about the online name change process and transgender identity card getting procedure?
Yes we do , But it works different in every city. and a lot of local officials are unaware of the protocol.
HI ,I HAVE A QUESTION THAT IF I HAVE NOT DONE SRS SURGERY THAN ALSO CAN I APPLY FOR FEMALE GENDER OR SHOULD I GO FOR TRANSGENDER FOR GENDER IDENTITY.??
PLEASE HELP ME AND REPLY ASAP
Yes, you can via Gazette notification.
Hi! Quick question, is it possible to get name and gender changed on a birth certificate, or just on other IDs?
Hi @Kala Goyal, it’s difficult to change name and gender on birth certificate. I don’t know the process.
Hi, my partner want to change gender but we are doing before surgery and in affidavit it is mentioned gender transition therapy ,So what changes should be made in affidavit above-mentioned
Gender Transition Therapy can be any therapy, so even seeing a psychiatrist or endocrinologist.
If you have a Gender Dysphoria certificate you can attach it.
Surgery is not required.
I read a few articles claiming that it is possible to change the Name and Gender on official documents using the Transgender ID card and that a newspaper publication and gazette notification is not required for the same. Could you please confirm if that is true?
Yes it is true that you can change your name and gender using the Transgender ID card, without gazette notification. I’m not sue about newspaper.
However I heard it can be difficult to get a Transgender ID card.
I hope you are doing well.
I came across to a doubt and need your assistance for the same.
I aadhar card address is Tamilnadu address hence, the news I can put on Times of India or The Hindu.
Or it is mandatory to advertisement should be on a regional language news paper. Any Regional language or one regional language and one national language we have to give the advertisement??
The affidavit format shared on this website same we can use kindly help me in these 2 queries Affidavit and Newspaper.
I would recommend do publish it in an English newspaper, then people all across India understand it.